Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Sharp Cheddar, Apple, and Spinach Panini with Balsamic and Pecans

When my husband and I initially began registering for our wedding, we walked around the stores leisurely scanning pillows, rugs, and bedding….and then came the kitchen. I'm 99% positive that I was  so overcome by the excitement of registering for kitchen supplies that I blacked out and scanned everything in sight like a crazed woman. When my husband asked if we really needed that many different styles of mixing bowls, I looked at him puzzled and said, "Of course."

When the time came to open our wedding gifts, I nearly forgot half of the kitchen items I had registered; but nonetheless I was ecstatic unwrapping herb scissors, tomato keepers, and salad spinners (and I must say my mixing bowls were well worth it). One item that I have used countless times is a panini press/grill/griddle pan. Initially I was using the pan for cooking salmon and vegetables but was recently interested in trying out the panini feature. I did not have any fancy bread in my kitchen, but the whole wheat bread held up just fine with only minor breaks here and there (more room for the oozing cheese I say!).

One of my favorite grilled cheese combos is sweet apples with a tangy balsamic vinegar and I think when I first started making these I had 4 in a week. When I started to prepare this particular sandwich I knew I wanted to include greens and that I was having a craving for pecans and thought I'd just throw them on top. After the success of this sandwich, I later made my husband a chicken panini with which he was pretty impressed. I may just use this feature more often!

Recipe:

1 gala apple; sliced whole
1 small handful of spinach leaves
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2-3 pieces of sliced white sharp cheddar
1 small handful pecans
2 pieces whole wheat bread
spray butter

1. Heat panini press over low-medium and spray pan with non-stick spray
2. Use spray butter or typical butter and spread onto bread
3. Place 1 piece of bread butter side down on panini press and build sandwich with the remaining ingredients. Top with additional piece of bread with butter side facing out.
4. Pull other side of panini press on top of sandwich and cook for about 3-5 minutes until golden brown and cheese is melted.



No comments:

Post a Comment