Thursday, December 26, 2013

Homemade Mushroom Soup for Casseroles

The holiday season is always my favorite time of year because it is a time for family, friends, and old traditions; driving around to look at Christmas lights, watching elf, and breakfast casserole with coffee and Bailey's in hand on Christmas morning. Growing up my parents used to host an "Open House" for Christmas that began in the afternoon and went late into the night with food always prepared for people to grab as they wish. Recently, my husband and I have taken over that tradition and hosting the Christmas open house at our place; however the morning is reserved for my husband and I. Last year I created a french toast casserole for Christmas morning, but found myself craving the traditional breakfast casserole my mother made most Christmas mornings. The traditional casserole is made with eggs, breakfast sausage, cheese, cream of mushroom soup, and milk. I have been trying to cut out canned cream of mushroom soup in casseroles; however have been struggling with finding a recipe that creates a similar consistency with sustained flavor. I was thrilled with the results of this mushroom soup and surprised at how easy it was to create; a much better alternative than the canned version and can be used in a variety of casseroles that call for cream of mushroom soup. The casserole came out just like I imagined and I was one happy girl bringing my childhood tradition to my home Christmas morning.

Mushroom Soup (makes about 2 cups)

2 tbsp butter or margarine (I used yogurt butter)
3/4 c chopped mushrooms
3 tbsp flour divided
1 c vegetable broth
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat butter in medium sized skilled over medium high heat.
2. Sauté mushrooms until soft and fragrant.
3. Whisk in 2 tbsp of flour and garlic powder until combined
4. Whisk in 1 cup vegetable broth until no lumps are present
5. Whisk additional tbsp of flour and remove from heat. Add salt and pepper







No comments:

Post a Comment