Saturday, March 8, 2014

Blueberry Quinoa Protein Bars

Once you make your own granola bars or protein bars at home, I assure you you'll never go back. But sometimes it's easy to get stuck in the rut of making the same recipe (i.e. my trusty chocolate protein bar recipe) over and over until our taste buds are screaming at us for a new flavor.  I have tried quinoa based protein bars in the past and didn't always have the best luck; so I was a bit skeptical to try it in another recipe. When I had previously tried quinoa based granola bars I cooked the quinoa prior to mixing into my bar batter; but when I was searching for quinoa based recipes I found that a lot of people left it raw….so I gave it a try. I was so happy with the results and love the texture the quinoa added; the bar reminded me a lot of the products from Two Moms in The Raw which are delicious if you have ever tried them.

Recipe:

1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup PB2 already mixed
1/4 cup ambe agave nectar
1/2 cup pure honey
1/2 cup dried blueberries (I like to dehydrate my own fruit to eliminate added sugars)
1/2 cup raw almonds
1 tbsp avocado oil

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place 1 cup quinoa and 1 cup oats on baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile combine peanut butter, honey, agave nectar,  and oil in microwave safe bowl; microwave on high for about 90 seconds or until easily combined with spoon.
4. Add toasted oats and quinoa, blueberries, and almonds to peanut butter mixture.
5. Press into greased square baking dish and cook about 20 minutes. Let cook 1-2 hours before cutting.
6. Store in airtight container for an easy snack.




No comments:

Post a Comment