Sunday, April 7, 2013

Detox Cabbage Salad

After a long weekend filled with a wedding shower and bachelorette party for my future sister-in-law, a detox salad was a must for this weeks salad recipe (now lets just hope my detoxing won't take so long)! I often devote Sundays to cooking breakfast and lunch meals for the week and have found that salads calling for cabbage or broccoli/broccoli slaw are great because you don't have to worry about sogginess. I also found this recipe on Pinterest and tweaked it to my taste buds and fridge. Enjoy!


Detox Cabbage Salad Recipe (original)
1/2 head savoy cabbage
1/2 red cabbage
1 fiji apple
1/4 red onion
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c golden raisins

For the dressing:
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/3 c greek yogurt
2 tsps agave nectar
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp salt

1. Using sharp knife thinly slice cabbage, apple, and red onion and transfer to large bowl
2. Add walnuts and raisins and toss to combine
3. In a small bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing
4. Top the salad with the dressing and mix to coat evenly
5. Serve immediately or store in fridge until use

So, I went a slightly different route with this salad. I used a package of broccoli slaw, a package of shredded red cabbage, and a chopped granny smith apple. I also decided to omit the raisins to skip the added sugar but I'm sure they would be tasty. For the dressing I used honey over agave nectar and did not have fennel seeds. I added extra cayenne pepper, about 1/8 tsp garlic powder, and extra honey to soften the apple cider vinegar. I also thin this salad would do wonderfully with some bleu cheese crumbles (although that may be changing the whole detox point of the salad ;))


No comments:

Post a Comment