Thursday, April 25, 2013

Quinoa Veggie Salad

So I know I've been slacking but I do have a new salad recipe! Since I don't eat meat, I am always looking for ways to increase my protein intake, and quinoa has been a good addition to my life. Quinoa is a good staple to have in your pantry because it can be used as a substitute for rice in casseroles but it can also be mixed with chocolate, fruit, or added to protein bars. I made this salad a couple of weeks ago ( and forgot to take the picture! so one will be coming soon) as a way to clean out my fridge ( I have a slight obsession with not wasting food) and have something that I could pack for lunch the remainder of the week. The great thing about most of these past salad recipes are that they can all be easily modified to fit your tastes. I've recently added a greek vinaigrette to the salad for an added twist. I love making my own salad dressing because not only is it easy and full of flavor but you control the ingredients which is always an added bonus.

Quinoa Veggie Salad

1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
1 cup chopped broccoli
1/2 cup red bell peppers
1/4 cup cucumbers
1/4 cup red onions
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 avocado chopped (add a squeeze of lemon juice to keep avocados from turning brown so quickly)
1 container crumbled fat free feta

1. Add all ingredients into large bowl and top with 1 tbsp lemon juice.

**You can keep the salad like this or go on to add the following greek vinaigrette for added flavor and good fats ;)

Greek Vinaigrette

1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3 shallots finely chopped (could also use 3 gloves garlic minced)
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
few shakes crushed red pepper
3 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 c olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Combine first 6 ingredients in bowl and slowly whisk in oil until blended. Refrigerate up to 1 week.



No comments:

Post a Comment