Friday, May 3, 2013

Month of May Pizza Challenge: Cauliflower Pizza

For the month of May's food challenge, I chose pizza because a.) who doesn't like pizza and b.) there are endless options to making a fantastic pizza and most of them can be without layers of fat and grease.  I am constantly looking for healthy adaptations for high calorie foods because not only do I love to eat and be healthy, but I also love the satisfaction it gives me when I can pull one over on those sneaky high fat foods: like, AHA mac and cheese not so fattening now are you!? So with that rant out of the way, I can move on to my first pizza. So I am sure most of you have read the hype of turning cauliflower into cheesy breads, buffalo bites, and pizza crusts and I also decided to jump on that band wagon. Like a lot of my inspired recipes, I found the following cauliflower crust recipe on Pinterest. I have made a cauliflower pizza crust before, but it was really hard to work with and most of it fell apart in one quick bite. I was skeptical about this recipe too, but it really did have a better consistency and tasted great as well; win/win!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe
 2 cups grated cauliflower (about 1/2 a head)
1/2 c yogurt
1 egg
1 tsp Italian seasoning
dash of salt

(I added 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, and 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese)

1. Preheat oven to 400
2. In a food processor, prepare the cauliflower by pulsing until grainy or grated texture
3. Place in a bowl and add yogurt, egg, and spices.
4. Fold the mixture until everything combined
5. Place the dough on a baking sheet lines with parchment paper and spread until about 3/4 in thick.
6. Bake the crust for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and firm enough to hold its shape.
7. Top with your ingredients and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese melted and Voila!

I'm not much of a sauce fan so I topped my pizza crust with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, sautéed mushrooms and onions, diced tomatoes, jalepenos, and part skim mozzarella cheese.



No comments:

Post a Comment