Thursday, February 6, 2014

Comfort Spaghetti

We all have our share of comfort foods; some people prefer chicken and noodle soup or a hearty bowl of macaroni and cheese….I prefer spaghetti and eggs. Before you knock it, just think of spaghetti carbonara or fried rice which both include scrambled eggs! Now for the background on my favorite comfort food since you are still reading: Spaghetti and eggs was a staple of mine growing up and was frequently cooked by my German grandfather whom I would often stay with when my parents were working outside the home. My grandfather's recipe was very simple and included boiled spaghetti, scrambled eggs, salt and pepper. Today I still crave this dish when I am missing both him and home; however I have added a few different flavor profiles to it throughout the years by adding fresh spinach, bright cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes. This dish is so simple and I hope it gives you the same warm fuzzy feelings I get every time I make a heaping bowl.



Recipe (Makes about 2 servings)

4 oz whole (or gluten free) spaghetti
4-5 eggs whites based on preference ( I always go with 5)
1/2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp diced red or white onion
1/2 cup torn spinach leaves
1/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
sprinkle red pepper flakes
parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste



1. Boil spaghetti according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile while spaghetti is cooking slice onion and tomato, and tear spinach.
3. Add minced garlic and olive oil to large skillet and heat over medium heat until fragrant.
4. Add onion until soft.
5. Add cooked spaghetti, tomatoes, spinach, and egg whites. Add salt and pepper and cook until egg is scrambled and spinach is wilted.
6. Top with parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, and additional salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment